All athletes trying out MUST be registered with CEVA (detailed instructions are below). Their CEVA member number is required for tryouts please bring a printed copy of their membership card.
IMPORTANT TRYOUT INFORMATION
- One Parent/guardian must attend registration & team selection (beginning & end) of tryouts
- Bring printed "2020-2021 Tryout Registration Form" confirmation email that will be emailed to you after you've completed the form above.
Check in Requirements:
- CEVA Membership Card: that is part of your CEVA registration papers with a "Current" status reflecting the appropriate date range.
- Reign Tryout Registration Form
- Medical Release Form
- Concussion Form
- NW Reign COVID Form - Will be completed on site with registration
- Tryout fee $20.00 cash only (No tryout fee for 2021 Season)
- Water and healthy snack
- Appropriate athletic shoes
Upon team selection:
- Each athletes initial deposit is required to be paid
- Additional paperwork including medical insurance information to be filled out
- Athletes will be fitted for their uniform package
- Families will have initial meeting with coach
- Air travel teams- for 2020.2021 you will book your own airfare
CEVA REGISTRATION INFORMATION
You MUST Register online with CEVA (Columbia Empire Volleyball Association) @ www.cevaregion.org (see step-by-step instructions here). When you register with CEVA, you will pay your membership fee at the time of registration. There are two options to pick from:
- CEVA Regular Junior - Girls $55.00 For girl players up to age 18. This is a full-year membership required for regional and national competition. It is Nonrefundable.
- CEVA Membership Deposit - $10.00 Nonrefundable **LIMITED MEMBERSHIP: 10/1/2020 - 12/31/2020 For boy/girl players up to age 18 that is good ONLY for five tryout dates between Nov. 1 and Dec. 31. This is an ideal option for those who have never played club volleyball before or are unsure if they will make a club team. Once a player makes a club team you must upgrade your membership to practice or play on a team to the $55.00 Regular Junior membership. The $10.00 membership deposit will be applied to the full membership fee of $55.00.
- If you are planning on trying out for multiple clubs, when registering with CEVA, you should check the undecided box in the Club tab.
- Once tryouts are completed you will need to go back and select the club you play for prior to practicing.
- If you are only going to tryout for NW Reign, then you may select NW Reign in the club option. This will save you the step of having to go back and change it from "undecided" after the tryout.
How to determine what age group you can play at:
- 18 & under: Players who turn 18 years of age on or after July 1st of the current school year or high school students in the 12th grade or below during the current academic year and are 19 years of age or younger on June 15th of the current season.
- 17 & under: Players who turn 17 years of age on or after July 1st of the current school year.
- 16 & under: Players who turn 16 years of age on or after July 1st of the current school year.
- 15 & under: Players who turn 15 years of age on or after July 1st of the current school year.
- 14& under: Players who turn 14 years of age on or after July 1st of the current school year.
- 12 & under: Players who turn 12 years of age on or after July 1st of the current school year.
Another simple formula--How old will you be on July 1, 2021 that is the age division you would play for this season.
Age waivers will only be considered for birthdays that fall in July/August. Exceptional Circumstances may be considered by the Executive Director of CEVA.
What to expect at Tryouts:
Thank you for your interst in NW Reign. We look forward to seeing you and your athlete at tryouts. Below is some information on what to expect and some other FAQ’s with answers.
What do I need Prior to tryouts?
- Determine your age group
- Register online with USA Volleyball (CEVA Region at cevraregion.org)
- Complete and bring the following documents:
- Registration form and confirmation
- Completed Medical Release
- Completed Concussion Form
- Are you 17 or older? Complete CEVA Safe Sport Training
- Tryout Fee $20 cash or check payable to NW Reign Volleyball
- ** If selected for a team initial deposit and flight (for air travel teams) are due at the conclusion of tryouts. See fee schedule for details.
Doors will open 30 minutes prior to the start of tryouts. Please come with all of your paperwork complete (see above for details or email with any questions firstname.lastname@example.org).
What should your athlete wear?
Please wear comfortable athletic attire. This includes a t shirt, shorts, tennis shoes, and volleyball knee pads. Athletes should expect to run, jump, squat, and dive on the floor.
How long do Tryouts last?
Tryouts typically last three to four hours. Parents are welcome to stay during that time, but are required to be in attendance at the conclusion of tryouts. Tryouts begin with a group stretch and then break out into a ball handling warm up and various drills to begin evaluations. Athletes will be evaluated on: serving, passing, hitting, and setting. Tryouts will end in game play where the athletes are evaluated on their team play, team work, and competitiveness. There is a small break in tryouts for athletes to grab a snack and refuel their bodies before they complete their tryout. The length of time allows our coaches and staff to evaluate the athletes based on their skill sets and desired position of play. It also allows enough time to have multiple coach analysis per athlete. As tryouts continue coaches will select the athletes to fill roles on their team and the teams will be announced at the conclusion of tryouts.
When will team selection be made?
All of the teams are selected at tryouts. Teams are announced at the conclusion of tryouts once each athlete has had an evaluation on their skill sets.
What are the club fees?
Club fees are based on each team and their tournament schedule. NW Reign is a nonprofit club that works diligently to offer a premium experience for our athletes with tournament selection, player gear, and coaching at an affordable rate. All of the team fees are posted on the investment tab along with what is included in the fees. Each team’s tournament schedule is posted on their Teams page.
Does everyone make a team?
Not everyone makes a team. While this is heavily dependent on the number of athletes trying out. Each year brings a new group of athletes for each division as kids roll up in age. So while there is fear in the unknown we can assure that our tryout environment is enriching and positive. If we are able to determine early that an athlete will not fill a role we notify the athlete and family as early in the trout process as possible vs. keeping them to the very end. This way we can help the athlete find another club or opportunity on tryout day. If you have any questions please email email@example.com
Why do all clubs have tryouts on the same day?
We strongly encourage athletes and families to research and learn about the clubs they are interested in. CEVA region establishes the tryout days for our region which is why you see them all on the same day. There is opportunity to try out for other clubs but you should always go to your desired club first.
Can I tryout for multiple clubs?
If you make the choice to try out for multiple clubs there are a few things to know. First, let the club know that you are interested in trying out at other clubs, this does not affect your evaluation at NW Reign. Second, if you have been given an offer and accepted at a club then you are not permitted to attend another tryout and accepted an offer at their club. If you attend tryouts and do not make a team, you are welcome to attend additional tryouts and accept an offer.
My athlete made a team, what is next?
Congratulations to you and your athlete. Post team selection please plan on being at the gym for aprox. 2 hours. There is paperwork to complete, uniform fittings, vertical measuring, and team infomration to be gathered or handed out. Practices will start the week following tryouts, so please be prepared to practice the following day(s) post tryouts.